Monday 4 July 2011

A pause

During June I wrote as many blog posts as I had done during the rest of the year... she'll never keep it up, I hear you say!  Well, you're right, I am having a bit of a break while I do family and end-of-term-for-the-boys type stuff.  I should be back at the end of the week.

In the meantime, in lieu of hold music, I will leave you with some pics that are buried deep in my Flickr account - you may have seen them before, I hope you like them!

These are flowers I made from old paperback books as part of my foundation course last year.  Like many of the best ideas, they came into being when I was fiddling with the scraps left over from working on an entirely different idea, and turned out to be so much better than anything I had planned!

Book Art Flower 1


Book Art Sunflower


Red Book Art Flower


Red and Yellow Book Art Flower


Book Art Flower

I do have 'issues' with cutting up books, but the sunflowers were charity shop thrillers with crucial pages missing (how annoying - worse than a jigsaw with a piece missing!) and the others were some of the childrens books given away free with boxes of cereal a few years ago.  With 2 growing boys in our house we soon ended up with many more copies of each available book than any family could possibly need and our local charity shops had a glut of them too!

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the last one, like a bird of paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - that's my favourite too! It's just the tiniest scrap left over from cutting out one of the others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all very clever. I know what you mean about not wanting to cut up old books, but they make a lovely end to their lives!

    ReplyDelete

Helen Smith, artist and maker in glass, print and stitch.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails