Tuesday 6 September 2011

A bookcase and some fabric

For those of you that asked... here is the monster that has been keeping me busy for the last few days (along with all those going-back-to-school shopping sprees of course!)

It's looking a bit patchy, waiting for another coat of paint, but I am very proud of it.  The first time I (with valuable assistance from eldest son) have ever built anything other than flatpack (I'm a dab hand at flatpack).  It fits very nicely into its allotted space and will hopefully house a good chunk of our library.  We had to build as the space between the radiator and the wall is just a little smaller than standard bookcase width, but we have far too many books to go with a slim bookcase and waste nearly half the space.  When it's finished I shall be making another for the other end of the wall...  and then some wall hung shelves for paperbacks in the space in between.  We won't know what to do with all the free space in the rest of the house!

My Liberty fabric destash has proved very popular so I've had another sweep through my fabric boxes looking for Liberty pieces and come up with these...


And these smaller pieces


I think that's the lot!  They'll be making their way into the fabric destash section of my shop over the next week or so.

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic shelves. Do you deliver? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm very impressed. Your bookcase looks really great (don't you just hate those awkward sized spaces!). Hope you'll take a photo of the room with bookcase(s) in situ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    Gina, I can't say I've enjoyed the process, so, no!

    But I am really looking forward to the result and there will be pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bookcase. Quite tempted by the fabric too, but I really mustn't buy any more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. feel proud! i have only built small shelves and it isnt easy. furniture is not for the weak hearted ....unless you dont mind wobble :)

    good job!

    ReplyDelete

Helen Smith, artist and maker in glass, print and stitch.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails